Why is Bone Broth So Dadgum Popular?


Bone Broth. Dear, sweet bone broth. Why did it take me so many years to fall for you?

Was it because the words “bone” and “broth” put together seemed to be some inaccessible level of Cavewoman that I would never be able to achieve?

Maybe because my reaction to the words “bone broth” caused my face to turn a shade of purple? (I mean….it didn’t sicken me. It just….weirded me out. A lot.)

Who knows. But, what I know now is that bone broth is an amazing liquid that takes absolutely no time to throw in the slow cooker and simmer for a day, or in the beloved Instant Pot (💖) when you’re in more of a hurry.

Here’s why it has landed on my list of Top Ten Must-Have Staples:
  • Bone Broth = Gelatin. 
  • Gelatin is a cooked form of Collagen. 
  • Collagen is good for healing Leaky Gut. 
  • Healing Leaky Gut can result in reversing Autoimmune Diseases.
Enough said? Now for the fun part.

Here's a little explanation as to why bone broth is "all the rage" these days. Bone broth is full of important vitamins and minerals that our bodies crave. (Think calcium, magnesium, collagen, chondroitin, and glucosamine.) Since it is rich in collagen, bone broth can also help to fight wrinkles, cellulite, loose skin, eases digestion (specifically digestion of proteins), help with detoxification, and help to repair gut lining which, in turn, will help ease joint pain and stiffness. I am all about that.

Side note - gelatin also contains Glutamic Acid which, if you recall, is an essential brain vitamin. Uhm. Yes, please. My brain will take all the help it can get. Hallelujah.

One of the greatest things bone contains is high amounts of Glycine, an amino acid that helps the liver "clean house." Our bodies naturally produce Glycine, but we need copious amounts to stay in tip-top shape. So, the theory is that people with Autoimmune diseases need higher amounts of Glycine to help our bodies heal and recover from the stress and strain of the bacterial fight that is constantly ongoing in our guts. Glycine is found in the gelatin that is secreted from beef/chicken/even pork bones when you cook them down into broth.

Is this whole bone broth thing starting to make sense now?

Let's talk about the whole gelatin thing for just a minute. I have a hard time relating to gelatin. I mean.....It's jiggly and somewhat mushy and just looks like fat. Okay. Maybe I can relate a little bit (real talk, people).......but I can't really say that I've always wanted to understand what it is and why I need it in my life. Until my ears perked up when I discovered that grass-fed beef (or chicken, etc.) gelatin contains collagen. And I am all about some collagen. 

I mentioned here that I started front-loading anti-inflammatories when I quit my meds. But I also started adding more collagen-rich substances to my diet for my gut to have enough nutrients to repair its lining. I had been using collagen peptides (this brand) for months, but increased my consumption by a third when I broke my elbow this past summer. By slipping on wet asphalt and flying through the air. It was glorious. I laughed. A lot. But I still broke my elbow. It resulted in an emergency surgery and I now carry a screw the size of TEXAS in my arm. Y'all, I wanted that screw out A-S-A-P. To this day, I feel the screw scrape across my bone every time I flex my forearm. It's not pretty. At my last appointment, you couldn't even see the break in the x-ray. I credit the high doses of collagen I pumped into my system from day 1 post-surgery. Well, that and PT. Credit where credit is due, folks. At any rate, my doctor has been amazed at how quickly my elbow has healed and has agreed to remove the screw in March as opposed to waiting an entire 12 months. And I couldn't be happier about that! It's safe to say that I am sold on collagen's ability to help strengthen and repair bones, skin, teeth, nails, and hair (among many other things).

Back to gelatin.

In all of the research and recipe searching that I have done for bone broth, some people swore up and down that "bone broth must gel to be nutritious." Okay.....so, why is gelling so important? When your bone broth gels, it's telling you "I am so full of vitamins and minerals." BUT. The truth is, your bone broth does not have to gel to be nutrient-dense. The first time that I made it when my Instant Pot took its maiden voyage, the broth didn't gel. But it was still full of nutrients and minerals that my body craves and it was fiiiiiine! Although, I will admit that I love when my broth gels because that means it is filled to the brim with collagen (and other good stuff).

So, how does one go about making this liquid? The way that I would recommend is in a slow cooker. Yes, I've made it in my Instant Pot. Yes, I liked the fact that my Instant Pot made it in 2 hours. But I still wanted my broth to gel and my Instant Pot just didn't do that for me. My slow cooker, however, did a fantastic job.

There is no "perfect" recipe for bone broth, but most people typically follow these guidelines:

To reach the level of nutrient-rich bone broth that you desire, you need to start with a base of 2/3 jointy bones and 1/3 meaty bones. Bear with me for a moment. This could get graphic for some people. (Skip this part if you toss your cookies easily.) "Jointy bones" are going to be your cartilage and connective tissue-rich bones like chicken feet, wings, heads, necks or cow knuckles and ox tails). "Meaty bones" are your ribs and marrow. Entire chicken or turkey carcasses. Anything that has meat in hard to reach places.

The gory part is over, you can continue reading.

Make sure your pot is FULL of bones. Then pour filtered water overtop (just to where there's about an inch of water above the bones). Add 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. (It's important to add apple cider vinegar to your broth because, thanks to its acidity, it helps break down the bones to secrete the minerals and collagen in the bones. The more nutrients are secreted, the more the broth gels.) Some people add vegetables next - celery, onions, carrots, parsley/basil/thyme/rosemary. Some people add Leeks. Whatever floats your boat. (You don't necessarily have to add veggies to your broth. I've done it both ways and couldn't really tell too much of a difference.) Add a touch of salt and pepper. Turn your slow cooker on the lowest setting and let your broth simmer for 12-24 hours. Then strain the meat/veggies from the broth and store in the fridge.

Ta-da! 

I just drink my bone broth from a mug with some turmeric, a little ginger and salt and pepper and it is fine. You can, however, add it to soups, use in different recipes, etc. if drinking it straight is just not your thing. 

Based off of that, I do know that some people just cannot stomach the thought of drinking a substance with the name of "bone broth" or seeing things jiggle (I have one such friend who literally cannot deal). It's also difficult to come to terms with the thought of drinking a steaming mug of bone broth on a Mississippi summer day when the temperatures are in the upper 90s and the humidity is 100%. I have a feeling that this will be an issue for me when summer rolls around, and I know I'm not alone. For these instances, insert: grass-fed beef gelatin powder and collagen peptides.

The difference between beef gelatin powder and collagen peptides is that powdered gelatin has not been hydrolyzed; whereas, collagen, in general, has been. So, if you're wanting to add collagen to your coffee, hydrolyzed collagen will be your buddy because, unlike gelatin, your coffee will remain in its glorious, liquid state. And no one wants to see their coffee turn into a pudding-like substance. Just. Yuck. Beef gelatin powder (I'm not talking about the gelatin powder that you can get in the store right next to the boxes of Jell-o. That's a whooooole other level yuck.) is great for use as a thickener in soups, puddings, pies, etc. and making things like gummy bears! Honestly, it's better to get the nutrients straight from your food (bone broth), but using a beef gelatin supplement isn't "terrible." Do what you've gotta do to survive, people.

Bottom Line: The best, all around way to get the crazy-insane nutrients from gelatin/collagen is via bone broth. But, if you just can't do it, collagen peptides are available. Grass-fed gelatin powder is available. Do what you need to do to feed your body what it craves!

XOXO,

Heather


P.S. Since grass-fed gelatin powder is readily available, here's a recipe for super easy, super delicious gummy bears that are packed with gut healing and anti-inflammatory ingredients.

Tart Cherry Lime Gummy Bears
From Michele at www.paleorunningmomma.com 
Makes: approx. 6 dozen gummy bears




















Ingredients:

¾ cup 100% organic Tart Cherry Juice
¼ cup fresh Lime Juice, strained
2 T. Raw Honey
3 T. Grass-fed Gelatin (I love Vital Proteins)


Directions:

In a saucepan, heat cherry juice and lime juice over medium heat until hot, but do not boil. Lower heat to the lowest setting and whisk in honey until fully dissolved. Next, whisk in the gelatin, one tablespoon at a time, dissolving completely after each addition; continue to stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved, approximately 10 minutes.

Once you have no lumps, just liquid (if there are a few small lumps, it’s okay), remove from heat and carefully transfer the hot liquid into your gummy molds with the included dropper (I purchased these gummy molds the first time that I made this recipe and it came with the dropper).*

Refrigerate until firm (1-2 hours); pop from mold and enjoy!**
*If you don’t have gummy molds, you can use mini muffin tins or an 8x8 baking dish.
** You can store the gummies in the fridge or in an airtight container on the counter.

Comments

Popular Posts