So there's this thing called Camel Milk.

Yes. You heard me. Camel milk. And it's found in the States. 

How? You might ask? Desert Farms



A man by the name of Walid discovered camel milk while visiting his family in Jeddah (the Middle East). He loved it, discovered that it was being used medicinally, and wanted to bring its goodness to the US. So, this guy moved to California and started selling camel milk at mosques and ethnic food markets or festivals (how, I have no idea). Now, the Midwest is where it's AT when it comes to health nuts, so it's really no surprise that his business took off (I mean, once you can get past the whole "camel milk" thing). 

Then, this guy quit his corporate job and went all over the Midwest looking for....a camel farm. Which he found being run by an Amish community (this is too perfect, y'all). You and I both know that the Amish community does things on a low, almost under-the-radar level, but Walid wanted to help the community by bridging the gap between them and the rest of the world. So he teamed up with them and now, they are packaging and distributing camel milk across the country!

Okay, so now that you have the back history, here's how I found out about it: Facebook. I guess I never paid attention to it, but Facebook filters the ads that you see based off of what you "like" on your Facebook page. I guess I've liked one too many Paleo-themed pages because all of a sudden, this camel milk advertisement kept popping up alllll over my page. All. Over. And, one day, I was curious enough to read about it....and, man, this stuff is CRAZY healthful!

Plus, according to this, camel milk is different from cow milk and goat milk because the proteins found in camel milk are different than cow and goat because camels have toes and cows/goats have hooves. Wait, what? Okay now I'm curious. Camel milk helps with resolving food sensitivities and reducing nutrient deficiencies (the annoying thing that happens when your body refuses to behave and absorb nutrients from your foods and/or supplements). It helps fight gut infections (read: leaky gut), helps balance blood sugar, and boosts the immune system. 

How so? Because camel milk is high in colostrum (which is found in breast milk and is high in antibodies (little soldiers that help protect your body from disease or, in a lot of cases, help your body heal from disease)).


There have also been studies conducted showing that camel milk helps to reduce the symptoms of Autism. I'm not going to pretend that I really know the cause and effect of Autism in people, but there is some research out there that says Autism acts much like an Autoimmune Disease in that the body attacks its own healthy cells causing a myriad of health problems.


What piqued my interest the most were the Autoimmune testimonials. Just a little history on AI's, they occur when your body can't tell the difference between good bacteria and bad bacteria. Your body thinks that healthy cells are, in fact, bad, and in turn fight everything causing severe health problems. Camel milk is said to contain high doses of immunoglobulins that help to re-build your gut structure by only fighting the harmful antigens (bad bacteria) and rebuilding good gut flora.

That's a lot of positive information for something so crazy sounding, right? The only downside is the price. Since camel milk isn't that popular, there is limited access. When something is limited, the price is higher. Such a bummer. Desert Farms is said to be the cheapest place to get camel milk, but the price is still crazy. Maybe I should look into getting a camel? (I kid, I kid. I'd rather not own something that spits at me whenever it wants to.)

Clearly, there was only one thing for me to do - I had to give it a try! And a few people in my life thought it would be "oh, so great" to capture the adventure on film. To be honest, I was terrified of it. I thought that it would be as awful and smelly as goat milk. (And if you read this, you know how I feel about goat milk.) But that still wasn't enough to stop me! So, without further ado, here’s a video of me trying camel milk for the first time ever, ever, ever! 

                                       
                                       **If you have trouble accessing the video, try going here.

And there you go. If you can get up the nerve to dismiss the fact that camels are smelly, they spit at you, and (apparently) kick you on occasion,  give camel milk a try! (Just purchase it in little containers to avoid the whole camel encounter.) Who knows, maybe you're as crazy as me and will like it too! 😉


XOXO,

Heather


P.S. If camel milk isn't your thing, these cookie dough truffles deeeeefinitely will be.

Cookie Dough Truffles
Makes: 2 dozen














Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups blanched Almond Flour
3 Tablespoons Coconut Flour, sifted
1/4 cup Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 cup 60% (or greater) mini Dark Chocolate Chips
4 ounces 60% (or greater) Dark Chocolate bar
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine together almond flour, coconut flour, honey, vanilla, and coconut oil; mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop teaspoon-size balls of dough mixture and roll into balls; place on the baking sheet. Once all have been formed, freeze for 1 hour or overnight.

Chop the chocolate bar; microwave at 20-second intervals until melted.

Roll frozen cookie dough balls in the melted chocolate until coated. Place the chocolate-coated balls back on the baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.

Then dig in and don't look back! 

Comments

Popular Posts