Marshmallows, Chili Sauce, and Survival

Has anyone out there tried to make one of those avocado roses? You know, where you perfectly dissect half of an avocado (or is it an whole thing...?), slice it into slivers so thin that you could read a newspaper through them (but you don't because avocados are temperamental as all get out), and then manipulate them into the shape of beautiful food art?



Yeah....me neither. Goals. I'm adding that one to my bucket list and I'll update you upon completion.

Since the removal of tomatoes and peppers from my life, I've been thinking a lot about how crazy this journey has been. Because it's easier to compare where I was to where I am than to bemoan the fact that I am currently missing E V E R Y T H I N G about tomatoes and peppers. I mean...this has complicated my life to a whole new level. For instance, Easter is tomorrow. My family always, always has Lamb and we always cook it the same way. There is no deviation. Except for this year. (Of course. Eye roll.) Yesterday, my mom was rattling off the marinade ingredients to my sister when she said, "and chili sauce" to which  I interjected, "woah, woah, I can't eat chili sauce!" Trying to be helpful, my mom replied, "it's only a fourth of a cup. Surely that won't bother you." Wellllll considering the fact that brainiac over here ate store-bought guacamole the other day without even thinking of the clear fact that guacamole has peppers in it and is still unable to walk without my feet feeling like they're on FIRE, I'd rather take a pass and finish detoxing the stuff out of my system as quickly as possible.

So now, I'm having to think up a way to make something remotely similar to chili sauce...without the "chili" part. Oi. Yes, having to go through another round of elimination has definitely had me reminiscing about how far I've come. Because, if I didn't think about the good that's come through it all and how great I'm feeling 9 days out of 10, I would probably end up in a fit and throw myself onto my bed like any good Disney princess would. Ahem.

When I first started my healing journey, there weren't any "pre-made" or readily available foods that fit into my health criteria like there are now. There weren't restaurants that happily offered gluten and dairy-free options on their menus. If I wanted to eat something, I had to make it. Or I had to eat yet another salad when going out with my friends. "Hold the croutons, cheese, and dressing, please. Are those pecans raw or seasoned? Do you have olive oil and vinegar that I can use for dressing? No? Okay....I'll just eat it dry." 

I'm telling you, it was hard. I remember telling my mom once, when I had had it up to my eyeballs in terrible recipes that claimed to be both "delicious and Paleo", that if this was what being "Paleo" meant, I was done with this whole eating thing because it was gross. BUT...fast-forward almost 6 years and now you can find something with "Paleo" in the title or on the shelf at every turn. And I am in utter food heaven! 

Back in the beginning though, after I had had my meltdown over food, my saving grace of sorts came by way of a cookbook called Against All Grain by Danielle Walker in early 2014. This cookbook helped me rekindle my love of food and was the building block for learning how to substitute and tweak my old favorites so that I could still enjoy them while also staying on track with healing my body. I follow her religiously on all of the social media and have pre-ordered every cookbook she has published since her first one. She's my favorite.

Her latest book, Celebrations, has been my absolute favorite. I'm an entertainer at heart, so I've loved getting to make her recipes and also use them as the base for a few of my own creations. Since tomorrow is Easter (have I mentioned that already?), and since I just recently trekked over to Miami and ventured into a Kilwin's shop, I'm feeling inspired to make Paleo Marshmallow Pops. Because who doesn't love fluffed up sugar dipped in dark chocolate?



So, I'm using Danielle's recipe for marshmallows and then I'm letting my imagination do the rest. What I love about these marshmallows is the fact that they have Beef Gelatin in them (three cheers for Vital Proteins!) and are sweetened with just the right amount of honey. (Insider secret: I actually use less honey than her recipe calls for because I've never been one that was crazy for sweets, and they still come out wonderfully.) And you can whip them up in no time! The longest step is waiting for them to harden. And, even though I haven't tried it yet, I'm betting that I just have to skip the dusting process and just cut them in larger shapes, poke a candy stick in one side, then dip each one in a vat of dark chocolate and let them harden for a bit. I can't wait!

And now that I'm talking about it, I really need to get started on these because I still have to figure out how to make that darn chili sauce! I'm posting the recipe for the marshmallows below because you still have time to whip them up if you want to. And then dip them in dark chocolate. You won't regret it.

Happy Easter, my cyber friends! 🐣🐰


XOXO,

Heather


Paleo Marshmallows
Makes: 24 large marshmallows or quite a few minis

Recipe from Celebrations by Danielle Walker






















Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons Arrowroot Powder, for coating
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons unflavored Gelatin Powder (I use Vital Proteins beef gelatin)
1 cup light-colored Raw Honey (you can cut to 1/2 cup and it's just as good!)
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
Directions:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread 1 tablespoon of the arrowroot powder evenly over the apartment to cover.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, pour 1/2 cup of the water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Allow the gelatin to bloom, or absorb the water, for 10 minutes.

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup water and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 15 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reads 240 degrees.

Turn the mixer on low, and with it running, slowly pout the hot honey syrup dow the side of the bowl. Add the vanilla, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 8 - 10 minutes. The mixture will turn from brown to white and triple in volume.

Turn the marshmallow crème out onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth it with an offset spatula. You need to work quickly here, before the marshmallow starts to set. (And by "quickly" she really means quickly.) Allow the crème to cool and set at room temperature for 6 hours.

Rub the top of the marshmallows all over with 1 tablespoon of the arrowroot powder. Lightly grease a sharp knife with coconut oil and slice the marshmallow into 24 pieces. (Or several dozen if you want minis.) If the marshmallows are still sticky (and they probably will be), toss the pieces gently in the remaining 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder to coat then. Serve immediately. (Or dip in chocolate. Your options are seriously endless.)

**Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts