Time to Recharge

The post I really wanted to do for this week (and had been working on for weeks) was going to be about how I quit my meds that I've been taking to treat my Autoimmune Diseases. BUT, considering that I am currently staring at five (5) different prescriptions to treat a bout of Bronchitis which, in turn, caused my Costochondritis to flare, that post was just too ironic and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Another time, another post. 

Ahem. Anyway.

Since Thanksgiving was this past Thursday and I was under orders (read: threats) from my doctor to "get in bed and [not] come up for air until Saturday" (her words, I promise you. The woman knows me all too well), I've been thinking a lot about the little things that I am thankful for. More specifically, what keeps me healthy and makes me happy, grateful, and whole. I've also been thinking about rest, recovery, and putting myself before the rest of the population. 


First, I want to just touch on being thankful. A friend sent me this article Thursday on being grateful and the timing could not have been more perfect. It was also perfect because, at the time, I was on the couch cuddling with my pup, watching Royal Pains, sipping Bone Broth, and thinking about what out-of-the-box things I was thankful for on an everyday basis - not just on Thanksgiving. If I had a New Year's Resolution (I have my qualms with those which, I'm sure I'll talk about soon), it would be to keep these things at the forefront of my brain so that I would always be in a mindset of gratitude. The top 16 things I'm thankful for daily are:


  1. My Mother. She is my rock, my open arms to run to, my warm hug, my shoulder to cry on, my ER pal, my Paleo food tester. She puts up with my daily antics, my meltdowns, my irrational behavior when I have just.struck.my.last.nerve. and my amusement with Snapchat filters. She has been through hell and back and she is my hero.
  2. My Faith. I wouldn't be anywhere without my Faith. I know that I definitely wouldn't still be alive. My Faith has pulled me out of some sticky, sucky, nasty situations and held me together when I could barely breathe. Faith is my true anchor.
  3. Turmeric Lattes. Just.....turmeric lattes. Maybe I'll post about that next week. Those make my soul smile.
  4. Medical bills. That article from my friend really put this one in perspective for me. Granted, they are in the five-digit realm, but they could be in the six-digit realm. So, I'm thankful for 5 digits. I'm thankful for the wonderful team of doctors that I have working with me to help figure out how my body needs to heal and how to put that healing into action.
  5. Paleo Donuts. Especially when my sister makes them. 😋
  6. The Depot. For obvious reasons, Hattiesburg peeps. It's the best place in town to blog, research, read, chat, drink amazing coffee. It's amazing. A precious friend of mine would say that their breakfast sandwiches are the most superb combination of *gasp* gluten + bacon and eggs. (disclaimer: I have never experienced this gluten nirvana. I simply watch.) And if they would JUST. CARRY. COCONUT. MILK. I would be in a committed relationship. Hardcore. Every weekend. Please. 
  7. Dark Chocolate. Enough said.
  8. My friends. I would be lost without you. I would be somewhat richer without half of you since y'all decided you just had to go and get married this year (I kid, I kid), but I would be so lost. You keep me humble. 
  9. Whole Foods. After this, do I really need to say more? WF keeps my nerd strong. 
  10. Humor. That humor has kept me laughing through some of the darkest, scariest moments of my life. Humor is right up there with air. 
  11. Traveling. I have never felt more alive than I have this year. I have been to some pretty awesome places and had incredible experiences that I will never forget. 
  12. Cooking. I'm grateful for a mother that instilled a love of being in the kitchen in me at a young age. The fire still passionately burns within (thank goodness, because if I no-cooky, I no-eaty). 
  13. Essential Oils. My essential oils have completely changed my life and have aided in finding ways to treat and heal my body naturally. I love them so.
  14. People that Push my Buttons. Everyone has an opinion. Not everyone is going to "get" you. That's okay. Those people, in an odd way, help me grow. I may never understand them and I may close my door when I've had enough, but they still keep me grounded. 
  15. Thrive Market. This place is my mobile Whole Foods since the closest one to me is two hours away! 
  16. Finding the Gold in People. There is good in every single human on the planet. I see it every day. Look for the little things. 


This is just a theory, but I believe that being thankful for these 16 things is going to help me see that I can see myself as a priority and keep my body rested. Rest is one of the most important steps in healing from any illness. The rules don't change for chronic illness. In fact, they become more important. Since I have been involved in 13 weddings in the last 11 months and have been constantly on the run and on the road between those and work, landing in the ER with severe chest pains, serious trouble breathing, and a terrible dry cough shouldn't have surprised me. And it shouldn't have surprised me when I followed-up with my GP on Wednesday and she told me to "stop working and rest for the week." Actually, she said "I am ordering you to...." Bless her.

Rest.

Honestly, resting is hard as all get out. I didn't do so well on Thursday. Idle hands make me.......nervous? anxious? out-of-my-mind crazy? I'm not really sure. I just never have time to sit still, so sitting still makes me feel lazy. But I did make dairy-free whipped cream and Paleo marshmallows!!!!! I handled yesterday much better (maybe because I didn't fall asleep until after 4 am the night before, so I was just plain tired). And I'm committing to handle today even better. But, once I get my health back up-to-par, I've still got to get a game plan together for keeping the burnout at bay. Arg. 

I'll be the first to admit that I am the worst at saying "no." Ask anyone that knows me (minus a few coworkers probably, let's be honest) and they'll tell you it's true. I give until I have nothing left to give....and then I keep giving. And it makes me so happy. But it's also made me extremely ill the past few years, so clearly I need to do some major re-adjusting. I own my self-proclaimed title of "giver" to the core. But since it's landed me in the bed for the past three (3) days, it's time to re-evaluate, hmm? 

I have [fortunately.....unfortunately? I'm still not sure which side I come out on] been given a front row seat to the dramady called "how the general population reacts and responds to someone with an Autoimmune Disease." Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes its genuine and brings me to tears in all the right ways. But, most of the time it's less than pleasant and hurtful. I try to not hold it against people, because "they just don't know any better" (my eyes did a semi-slight roll right then) but, dadgum, it's not that difficult to try to be understanding and not shrug someone's life situation off like it's irrelevant because you don't know how to process it or don't understand what that person is experiencing. Your momma raised you better, child!

There's an article that I shared on my personal Facebook page last week from Autoimmune-Paleo.com (great site. Great podcast!) that lists 5 things you can say to someone with an autoimmune disease when you're trying to genuinely understand what that person is going through but have zero clues. I don't agree with all of it, but the article is insightful and can help the close friends and family members of anyone healing from a body that is literally trying to send us to the next life much sooner than we would like, try to communicate their genuine concern and support. The key word there is "genuine." Please, don't try to doctor us, advise us, parent us, or act more intelligent than us. For the most part, we know what we're doing. And, yes, we know that it sounds crazy to you. I'm all for taking people's suggestions/recommendations and I will be the first to try anything out (Camel milk included. I still haven't done it, but I'm going to!), but please don't approach me with a tone of arrogance. That's just common courtesy. Amen.

If you actually click on the link and read the short article (😏) please be more original in expressing yourself. If any of my friends approach me and say "I believe you" I may just throw my shoe at you. Fair warning. 

Anyway, "rest" doesn't just mean sleep. Rest means calming your mind and your spirit. It means being okay with everything that's going on and relinquishing control of the need to "fix it all right now." Right now, rest for me is probably going to consist of saying "no" when I don't want to. But it will enable me to say "yes" in the long-run. Rest is going to look different for everyone. My rest probably won't look like your rest, but it will be rest and it will be good. And it will enable you to say "yes" and feel like the normal, beautiful human that you are.

So....go rest, my fellow cavepeople!

But first, since everyone, everywhere is posting recipes on what to do with your leftover [insert Thanksgiving dish here] and since we aren't having our Thanksgiving until tomorrow, I'm going to go outside the box and give you a super yummy recipe for Carrot Ginger Soup. It's super easy to make and won't mess with your rest. 😌 Hopefully the majority of the world is experiencing Fall/Winter weather while we, here in MS, are experiencing Fall in the early mornings and Summer in the afternoon. STILL. Nonetheless, this soup is delicious!

XOXO,

Heather



P.S. Since I've been resting this week, I've had pleeeeenty of time to do some long overdue research (that I love oh, so much) and get caught up on The Paleo Women Podcast. PLEASE tell me that SOMEONE out there has checked them out. They are so great!

P.P.S. Current Favorite Wine: Bonterra Cabernet Sauvignon (hardcore crushing over here. Probably just because I haven't had a sip in over two weeks, but crushing, nonetheless.)

Ginger Carrot Soup
Serves: 6





















Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons Ghee

1 medium Red Onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
10-12 Carrots, peeled and sliced
4 cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1-15 ounce can full-fat Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley for garnish

Directions:

Melt Ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add carrots; sauté for 5 minutes. Pour vegetable or chicken stock overtop; bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes. 

Once carrots are completely cooked, either transfer soup mixture to a food processor or blender or using an immersion blender, process the soup until completely blended. Add orange juice and coconut milk; simmer for 5 minutes. Season with parsley, salt, and pepper, to taste. 

Transfer to soup bowls; garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately. 

Comments

Popular Posts